Welcome to Class 5’s Class page.
Please explore this page to find out information about our class and our learning.
Teacher: Miss H Llewellyn
Teaching assistant: Mrs T Ryan
Our topic this term is:
HOW MY BODY WORKS
At Sandfields Primary School, we aim for all our children to become fluent, confident readers who are passionate about reading.
Children who read regularly or are read to regularly have the opportunity to open the doors to so many different worlds! More importantly, reading will give your child the tools to become independent life-long learners.
We can achieve this together through:
- Read Write Inc, a programme to help to your child read at school
- Encouraging children to develop a love of books by reading to them daily, at home and at school
- Giving children access to a wide range of books at school and at home.
- A range of activities to develop oracy skills.
- Shared, guided and individual reading and writing activities with a focus on spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Genre work – Non-fiction:
- Reports – reading and writing reports.
- Procedural writing – reading and writing instructional texts.
- Genre work – Fiction:
- Story– reading and writing Quests.
- Investigating Character
- Building a story writer toolkit
- Mental Maths strategies
- Number work – place value (hundreds, tens and units), mental addition and subtraction. Multiplication and division.
- Reasoning, problem solving and algebra.
- Fractions, ratio and proportion.
The first few weeks of the summer term will focus on preparing your child for the National Procedural and Reasoning Test, which will cover all of the mathematical skills above.
Our topic this term is ‘How My Body Works’. The children will be completing a range of activities to develop their scientific knowledge and skills as well as their Literacy, Numeracy and digital skills.
- Team Building and Problem Solving activities will be the focused area up until October half term.
- After half term, Football Skills will be developed until Christmas.
PE day: Wednesday
Due to current restrictions, please make sure that your child wears appropriate kit for PE to school on the designated day – T-shirt and shorts/leggings/tracksuit bottoms and trainers.
Homework – your child will have homework which can be written sheets or set on TTRockstars /Numbots and on HWB. Your child has their user name and passwords to access these activities. If they have forgotten these, please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher for a reminder.
Reading books following current guidance, reading books will not be sent home until further notice. We must emphasise the importance of continuing to read regularly at home with your child. Any reading material can be used such as story books, comics, magazines, online reading materials etc … Your support really does help their learning.
National Tests will be carried out in May – please help your child to become familiar with the format of the tests (some practise questions will be sent out as homework).
Just a reminder… (most of you know this already!)
- Due to current circumstances, Class 5 start school at 8:40am and finish school at 2:40pm. Please bring and collect your child from the bottom junior entrance. We kindly ask you to follow social distancing guidelines whilst waiting on the yard.
- As the door closes at 8.45am, if your child is late or has a medical appointment, please report to the office and a member of staff will escort your child safely to class.
- Any pupils needing to be collected early for medical or dental appointments need to be signed out at the school office before leaving the premises. This is to ensure the safety of all our pupils.
- Where possible, could you please ensure that staff are informed in advance if anyone else will be collecting your child.
- If your child is ill or unable to attend school for any other reason, please could you inform the office.
- Dinner money – This should be paid using the online ParentPay system. If you are unsure about this process, please feel free to contact the school for help.
- A polite reminder that we are a ‘Healthy School’ – Please could you provide your child with a healthy packed lunch if they would prefer not to have a school dinner.
- Due to current circumstances, we are unable to offer a ‘tuck shop’ at school. As a result, we would encourage your child to bring a healthy snack to eat at break-time and a clean water bottle with them to school everyday.
- If your child wishes to bring in their own school stationary, face mask and/or hand sanitizer to use in class, they will be allowed to do so.
- As the weather is unpredictable, please ensure that your child brings in a school jumper/cardigan and a suitable coat to school everyday; clearly labelled with their name.
As always, we believe it is very important to involve you in your child’s learning and look forward to continue working with you to help your child enjoy their learning experience this year. If you have any questions or concerns, or if there is anything we can help you with, please don’t hesitate to ask. You can contact your child’s class teacher via Class Dojo or make an appointment by contacting the school office.
Home Learning :
Useful websites: Try these websites for learning opportunities and developing Digital Competencies